From the moment you drive your brand new car off of the dealership lot, to the time you finally retire it to the junkyard or sell it to someone else, you’re in charge of keeping your vehicle in the best functional condition it can be in.
Some people take this caretaker role to heart and give their vehicle every single accommodation in the book: from constant washes and waxes to detailing and even aftermarket installations. Far more people take a passive approach to car care, however: regular oil changes, a wash here and there and the occasional splurge on repairs when something goes amiss. Regardless of how vested you are in your vehicle, however, there are a few absolute necessities when it comes to auto maintenance in Lansing, MI that cannot be overlooked… unless of course you want to deal with the major ramifications that are sure to follow!
Take a look at the five essential aspects of auto maintenance in Lansing, MI that you should never, ever forget about when it comes to caring for your vehicle:
- Oil changes: Oil changes and fresh oil keep your engine functioning fluidly—which means no friction from all of the moving parts that power your vehicle. Bad oil means friction and friction means major engine troubles sooner rather than later. Make sure you’re having your oil changed every 3,000 to 5,000 miles (depending on your vehicle and the oil) to prevent premature engine failure.
- Tire rotations: Your tires do a whole lot more for your vehicle than just moving it from one place to another! They also keep your fuel economy high, lessen the wear on your brakes, keep your ride smoother and more… provided they’re rotated and cared for in regular intervals! Tire rotations will keep tread wear even on your tires, meaning a reduce chance for blowouts, better mileage and a longer overall life for the tire.
- Fluid flushes: Anywhere there’s moving parts in your auto, there’s bound to be some sort of lubricant—from your transmission fluid to power steering fluid and everything in between. Even if these fluids are full, there’s no guarantee they’re holding up to your
vehicles needs after thousands upon thousands of miles. Fluid flushes and replacements are essential to ensuring that your vehicle’s essential moving parts aren’t experiencing friction and that they remain in proper working order.
- Alignments: Much like having your tires rotated will have an impact on your entire vehicle, so will having the alignment corrected. Through natural driving conditions your alignment will begin to falter over the years, so having it tested and reset every year or two will serve to keep everything functioning correctly, reducing strain on different vehicular components and keeping you comfortable on the road.
- Car wash: Whether you drive through one or do it yourself, washing your car is important! Washing away all of the dirt, dust and other debris that the road can present will keep your car not only looking fresher for longer, it’ll also prevent buildups that can cause damage to your clear coat and paint!
Keep the above five things in mind when it comes to auto maintenance in Lansing, MI and you’re sure to enjoy your vehicle for as long as you own it—whether it retires after years of serving you or you choose to pass it on to someone else in favor of a brand new vehicle.