When the time comes that you need auto repair in Lansing, MI, it can be difficult to choose which mechanic to hire for the job. You’ll likely look at several different factors, including price, time estimate, experience and how friendly and knowledgeable the mechanic seems. One other factor you should certainly take into account is whether or not the mechanic is local to the Lansing area.
While large chain mechanics can sometimes be cheaper or more convenient, the perks of hiring a local mechanic often outweigh those factors. As a local mechanic shop that performs auto repair in Lansing, MI, we find that our customers value us being a local business, and for many good reasons. Here’s a look at why you should be seeking out a local mechanic for auto repair in Lansing, MI.
- Support your local economy: Dollars you spend at a larger chain mechanic shop are often sent directly to headquarters, and then redistributed throughout the areas where the chain operates. Local mechanics, however, keep their money local, and are more likely to buy supplies from other local businesses. They also use the money to support local jobs. If you want to support your local economy, choosing to do business with a local entity whenever possible is an easy and rewarding way to do so.
- Strong customer service: When you visit a large chain mechanic shop, keeping your business and ensuring your individual satisfaction is not going to be very high on their priority list. Big businesses generally care more about the bottom line, and the occasional unhappy customer isn’t going to detract too much from that. Local auto shops, however, will be more invested in gaining and keeping your business, meaning they will go out of their way to make sure you leave their shop happy.
- Long-term auto care: Local businesses of all sorts tend to keep employees longer, and that holds true for most local mechanic shops, especially if they are family owned and operated. And just as a patient will usually benefit from seeing the same doctor each time, you and your car will benefit from having mechanics who know how it runs, what work has been done on it and what its quirks are.
- Competitive market: Here at PFS Auto Repair, we value the free market, and we know our customers do as well. All kinds of competition, including big chains, are good for the consumer. However, when those big chains start to have a monopoly over an area, both consumers and small businesses lose big time. If you want to support a more open and diverse marketplace, try supporting your local mechanic.
- Local pride: Finally, there’s something to be said about the way local businesses can add to the character of a town. Here at PFS Auto Repair, we are proud to be from Lansing, and we enjoy helping and supporting the community in any way we can. When the community supports us in turn, we greatly appreciate it. We’ll hope you come see us for your next auto repair!