When you visit your local mechanic for oil changes, there are many options available for your vehicle. Many of these options consider your car’s mileage. Once it hits the 100,000-mile mark, you may wonder if paying for high-mileage oil changes in Lansing, MI is worth the expense. If your vehicle is at that mark, here are six advantages to switching to oil made for high-mileage cars:
- Additives: Your car’s engine goes through a series of intense processes to keep your car running. Heat, contact and pressure cause friction on various parts and make them wear out quicker. The high-mileage motor oils offer additives that help keep seals intact and protect against corrosion. Also, additives include anti-sludge components that will flush away corrosive elements that can also cause wear. Without these additives, it is likely dirt like this will remain in your engine.
- Cleaner running engine: Some cars of a certain age produce blue smoke. This is due to internal leaks and sludge buildup burning off during the engine processes. Once you start using high-mileage oil, the blue smoke effect will start to go away as buildup decreases and there is less to burn. The end result here is a vehicle that pollutes less.
- Restored parts: Using a high-mileage oil can also reverse any damage that occurred before you used that product. Leaks decrease as the seals get restored. Oil lines with debris clear out, leaving less to corrode the interior. Taking advantage of the cleaning and protective qualities of high-mileage oil often results in lingering problems clearing up as parts are restored.
- Reduced leaks: If you are in the regular habit of scrubbing fluid puddles from your garage floor or driveway, you will appreciate this benefit of high-mileage oil. Leaks are not always serious and are normally slow moving due to seal degradation. When you use a high-mileage oil with conditioners, the seals are restored and leaks visibly improve. You may still have to scrub your driveway on occasion, but not nearly as often as before you used high-mileage oil.
- Longer engine life: Oil changes are part of the regular maintenance needed to keep your car running well and avoid major repairs. If you add specialized oil to this formula, you will benefit from further reliability and help your car last longer. Even though you will spend extra for each oil change, this will pay you back with fewer costly repairs.
- Improved lubrication: When your car ages, metal-on-metal wear is its biggest threat. High-mileage oil has a higher viscosity, meaning it will stick to parts better and flow through slower, lubricating the entire way. This improved lubrication makes it easier for your aging engine to run and protects it from any corrosive elements that built up over the years.
PFS Auto Repair offers auto repair and maintenance services, including high-mileage oil changes in Lansing, MI. Call us today to set up an appointment and ensure your vehicle receives the maintenance it needs to keep you going for years to come.