As a car owner, you know how important it is to change the oil and rotate the tires as a part of proper auto maintenance. But did you know that it is also crucial to check your vehicle’s wheel alignment on a regular basis? You shouldn’t just keep your vehicle in good working order for the sole purpose of your convenience, but also for your safety and the safety of your passengers and other people around you. With this in mind, let’s take a look at five things that can throw off wheel alignments in Lansing, MI:
- Hitting potholes: If you’re like most people, you take the same route to work and back home everyday. But following such a familiar route means you will likely end up hitting the same pesky potholes over and over again, which can throw your vehicle’s alignment out of whack. With the state of our roads being what they are, it is almost certain that you won’t be able to avoid every pothole, but if it is safe to do so, you should try.
- Minor auto collisions: It doesn’t take much to throw a vehicle out of alignment. A minor automobile collision is often enough to do the trick, though the small hit may not feel like much at the time. Something as simple and common as a rear ending or a bump from the side can mean your wheels get knocked out of place in a major way.
- Hitting speed bumps or curbs hard: If you have ever missed the posted sign warning you about an upcoming speed bump, speed hump or speed table, and then went sailing into one at a fast enough speed, then your car’s alignment probably suffered. Additionally, hitting damage-causing obstacles in the road or ramming into cement curbs can cause misalignment in vehicles of all sizes.
- Poor maintenance: Neglecting regular tire rotation can also lead to problems with vehicle alignments in Lansing, MI. This, in turn, leads to rapid tire wear, followed close behind by the need to fork over the money for new tires. Store it at the forefront of your memory that regular maintenance and upkeep can help to head off the effects of a badly aligned vehicle. Know that everything is being done to maintain good alignment by asking your mechanic to sneak an extra peek while they are rotating the tires.
- Off-roading in vehicles that aren’t made for it: Maybe it seemed like a good idea at the time, or maybe it was your only way home, but off-roading in a vehicle designed only for paved streets can wreak havoc on your car’s alignment. Uneven surfaces full of holes and rocks should be avoided unless your vehicle is rated for such activities.
Proper maintenance of all aspects of your vehicle can keep it running smoothly for a long time and save you costly repairs down the road. This includes being vigilant when it comes to your car’s alignment, as there are many ways you can inflict unintentional damage. When you need expert help with alignments in Lansing, MI, PFS Auto Repair is the place to go.