Auto mods are no longer just a hobby for gearheads. Many casual auto enthusiasts are seeking out performance enhancements as well, and a lot of these enhancements don’t even cost that much money.
Here are a few of the most common auto mods made by auto mechanics in Lansing, MI:
- Cold air intake: For just a couple hundred dollars, you can make modifications to your cold air intake to improve your overall acceleration and fuel economy. By allowing air to more naturally flow through the vehicle without restrictions, the engine is able to more easily access air, reducing the amount it needs to work. This kind of modification is simple enough that many people are even able to perform it without the assistance of an auto technician.
- Cat back exhaust: This modification usually costs several hundred dollars and is a bit more complicated than cold air intake mods. Exhaust upgrades can also be a benefit to your overall fuel economy. Unfortunately these types of modifications have gotten a bad rap because of people who make them unnecessarily loud, but keep in mind that exhaust mods do not have to be obnoxious.
- Strut bars: Strut bars (or braces) work to improve the handling of your vehicle when you move into a turn. They offer additional balance to each side of your vehicle to more evenly distribute force. Therefore, even when making turns at high speeds, your tires will stay on the ground in situations that would normally lend themselves to some vehicle instability.
- Performance tires: Another upgrade that can lead to better fuel economy and handling, this is also one that’s easy for the average Joe to do in his or her home garage or driveway. They are especially beneficial for people who drive a lot on the highway and do not find themselves running into a lot of snow or mud. These types of tires are made with a harder type of rubber that does not wear down as quickly. Special treads reduce the road bite. Keep in mind, these tires are meant for very specific types of driving behaviors.
- HID bulbs: High-intensity discharge (HID) headlights use a secondary electric amplifier and a bulb that is charged using a special gas that makes it shine more brightly. If you live in a rural area and do a lot of night driving, this can offer you a significantly greater amount of visibility, which can keep you safer on the roads.
- Computer modifications: Today’s vehicles have computers that control almost all aspects of the vehicle, ranging from overall performance and emissions to the sound system. These computers can also be modified to improve engine performance. For example, certain alterations can be made to create more horsepower capability.
These are just a few examples of mods made by many auto mechanics in Lansing, MI. For more information about potential modifications you could make to your car, contact the team at PFS Auto Repair to schedule an appointment.