Maintaining your car is important for a variety of reasons. Proper maintenance helps ensure a safe, reliable and long-running vehicle that will retain its value throughout its lifespan. Another one of the biggest reasons to maintain your car is to save money over the long run—an important facet of car ownership. At PFS Auto Repair, we hate to do extensive repairs that could have been avoided. Here are a few things we can do to maintain your car to ensure a well-running vehicle:
- Make sure your suspension is up to par: If you notice an excessively bumpy or shaky ride, and you’re not driving down a gravel road, you probably have an issue with your suspension. Our expert mechanics will be happy to take a look at your suspension and make minor adjustments before it needs major repairs.
- Check your tires: While having to replace the tires on your vehicle isn’t necessarily classified as an extensive repair, checking your tires is an extremely important part of auto maintenance in Lansing, MI. Ways to check your tires include inspecting your tire’s tread, sidewalls and air pressure. It’s also important to have your tires rotated and balanced every time you get your oil changed; we offer both of these services.
- Change your oil: Speaking of oil changes, they’re a vital component of car maintenance! It doesn’t matter which type of oil you use; you need to change it yourself or have it changed by our mechanics every 3,000 miles (or sooner). Old oil can ruin your engine, which will almost certainly require an expensive repair job. Regular oil changes will also prolong the life of your car and help ensure it retains its resale value.
- Ensure proper fluid levels: Oil and gasoline aren’t the only fluids that need to be full and fresh. Engine coolant and power steering are two other important fluids that should be flushed and refilled each time you bring your car in for an oil change. An engine that suddenly overheats or a vehicle that becomes hard to drive are two symptoms of improper maintenance of your fluid levels.
- Change your filters: Your air, fuel and cabin filters are three other aspects of your vehicle that a mechanic can replace each time you go in for auto maintenance in Lansing, MI. Fresh filters can help ensure a fuel efficient and well-running car. Old filters can lead to engine trouble and expensive repairs.
- Inspect your belts: Whether it’s the timing or serpentine belt, replacing your vehicle’s belts can be very expensive repairs, especially if you have a foreign car that needs a special belt. Have your mechanic inspect your vehicle’s belts, and have them replaced as soon as possible if the mechanic notices wear and tear.
Don’t worry if you’ve failed to follow the maintenance steps above—our mechanics can repair a variety of vehicle issues that often arise due to improper maintenance. Give PFS Auto Repair a call when it’s time to schedule auto maintenance in Lansing, MI.