If you own a car, then you know the importance of keeping up with a regular maintenance schedule for in-shop service and all the little maintenance needs in between. Changing your car’s oil is one of those must-do tasks, as driving with old or dirty oil running through your engine can cause a host of issues. Automobile engines are made up of a number of moving parts, all of which need to be properly lubricated with fresh, clean motor oil. Otherwise, the engine will struggle to power the car down the road.
To avoid automobile engine and component damage, make sure your filter and oil changes in Lansing, MI are done right. Here are the top reasons to use high quality motor oil during every oil change:
- Engine parts need lubrication: As mentioned above, the moving parts of the engine must maintain proper lubrication to perform well—these parts include pistons, valves, belts and more. All components under the hood create high levels of heat, which will soon cause extreme wear on the engine without proper oil lubrication. If you change the oil yourself, make sure to check your owner’s manual for the type and grade of oil the vehicle requires.
- Engine components need cooling: Because the moving parts of the engine create a lot of heat during operation, it’s very important that these parts never lack the right kind of lubrication—in other words, you always need to use the appropriate type of motor oil. Also, you must keep clean oil in the engine, as well as measure to ensure there’s always a sufficient amount of oil. Parts rubbing together cause friction that turns into heat, which can lead to an engine overheating.
- Dirty oil is bad for auto engines: Whether it’s dirt, dust or another type of debris, particles in dirty oil are bad for your car’s engine. It may take time, but dirt particles can cause engine corrosion that decreases the engine’s life, and as oil breaks down, it turns into sludge. To keep your engine safe and clear of harmful particles, change the oil and oil filter regularly.
- Gives better assurance that your vehicle will last: With proper care and maintenance, a vehicle can potentially last for decades. For this reason, make sure all your routine maintenance services include wheel alignments, tire rotations, engine checks and oil changes in Lansing, MI. Always replace old oil with clean oil to avoid lower fuel economy and a lack of power. In short, the more problems a car has, the shorter its lifespan is likely to be.
- Improves gas mileage: When the engine is poorly lubricated, fuel consumption increases, which is why it’s important for clean oil to be in the engine. To improve gas mileage, routinely change the oil and use the right kind of oil for your vehicle.
For the best quality motor oil changes in Lansing, MI, take your car to the professional auto mechanics at PFS Auto Repair. We are your go-to, experienced and knowledgeable auto shop in the Lansing area. Call our shop today to schedule your next oil change or a regular mechanical checkup!